Wednesday, March 16, 2011

From the first hold, I was hooked.

I was 18, graduated from highschool and working a part time job at Pet Valu in Arnprior. A little town right outside of Ottawa. We had a shopping day planned in Kanata, I had some money saved up and I barely got out so we got a ride up and spent the day walking through the centrum. I was currently still living with my mother and her soon to be X boyfriend. Malcolm - my boyfriend, and I eventually made our way to PetSmart(we already had 2 family pets, our dog Daisey rip and our rabbit, bunny lol)I made my way down all the isles and was always fasinated by the small animal section. Curiously moving over to the animal tanks glancing in to see all the cute fuzzy creatures inside I happened upon some baby rats. Just the idea of a rat fasinated me immediatly instead of disgusting me. I never knew anyone growing up who owned rats.. just hamsters and they seemed so cranky. They were no bigger then my palm. I had a talk with the associate for a while about their needs and thinking back she knew quite a bit but ws off on a few things. By this time I was heavy contemplating on going home with 2 fuzzies. There had to have been over 12 little babies running around all over the tank each one a different colour and pattern. The aquarium opened and all the rats went scattering, fleeing for their lives into the hut that was placed in the corner, except 2. Which would soon be called Nero and Octavian. Nero I think was a Variegated black rat. He was frightened into shock and was standing still as stone in the middle of the cage, wide eyed and curious. The sales associate picked him up and Malcolm and I stood there holding the little fella. Octavian, which Im pretty sure he was a Pearl Merle, had hid himself under the Carefresh bedding with only his little nose and one eye poking up stareing up at us, I giggled and asked to pull out that cutie hiding. After buying a temporary small cage, rat food, rat books, hammocks and toys gallore leaving us with a few hundred dollar bill, we made our way home. They were nervous but it didnt take long for them to become extremely curious about us and their new surroundings. We loved watching them grow, experience and become excited about new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment